Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"One Blue Pussy” by Andy Warhol

I’ve decided to make every Wednesday Warhol Wednesday because he is my true love.  For my first Wednesday post I’ve been a stuck between making One Blue Pussy or Marilyn Monroe my first Warhol blog. I’ve concluded with One Blue Pussy since the artwork will be with me forever.
November of 2009 I went to Anthem Tattoo Shop and got my second tattoo.  It’s of Andy Warhol’s One Blue Pussy from his book 25 Cats Name Sam and One Blue Pussy. Yes, I have a giant blue cat on the inner part of my left arm.  I’ve never been more proud of a tattoo choice.  I got the tattoo as constant reminded of my love for Pop Art and Andy Warhol (and of Cats).  It’s my inspiration for my career in Art History.

This is a 1954, Hand-colored offset print by Andy Warhol and his mother, Julia Warhola. One on my favorite parts of this piece is the name.  25 Cats Name Same and One Blue Pussy. Julia Warhola left the “d” off of “named.”  Andy didn’t correct her on this mistake because of his love for imperfections.  I feel that just in this fact, there is a great deal of explanation about Andy Warhol.

Warhol and his mother started working on the books as Christmas keepsakes for all the family members.  Andy always had a lot of cats and at one time he had 26.  He and his mother always named them Sam, except for one who they named Hester.  Andy printed and hand painted all of the cats while his mother did the calligraphy.  The book only contains 16 cats and doesn’t use any text except for the cat’s names and Andy’s signatures.  Sometime there is confusion with the blue cat because Warhol did a print of another blue cat that isn’t used in the book. He is not to be confused with the One Blue Pussy.

Andy Warhol his one of the most interesting artist I’ve studied. The more I read about Warhol, the more I find in common with him and fall in a deeper love.  I’ve read three books by Warhol on his life and art.  The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B & Back Again) has been my favorite.  It is from this book that most of Warhol’s quotes are taken.  I would recommend the book to anyone who is studying Warhol. Warhol covers topics such as love, beauty, fame, work, sex, time, death, economics, success, and art.  He is truly a wonderful man and I’m constantly finding more fascinating things about him.

 
I found a great article on Christie’s if you wish to read more about the book.
http://www.christies.com/features/2009-September-London-Andy-Warhol-25-Cats-Named-Sa-102-1.aspx

Photos and Information gathered from http://thumbs.imagekind.com/museum/350X350/MCG/JPGS/PF1296.jpg, http://files.solarnet.tv/2008/10/13015729-0.jpg, Andy Warhol “Giant” Size by Phaidon Editors,  Cats, Cats, Cats By Andy Warhol, and  The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B & Back Again) By Andy Warhol


No comments:

Post a Comment